The boat came with a small Danforth-style anchor that seemed capable of holding the boat, certainly for the amount of anchoring we have done thus far (as in, hardly any) being daysailors.

However I do have dreams of anchoring in the lee of White Island in Long Beach harbor, and up around the Palos Verdes peninsula, and hopefully around Catalina Island one of these days.

Most sailing books recommend the following anchor rode ratio – that is the ratio of the depth of the water in which you are anchoring, relative to the length of line that is deployed.  The term for this ratio is scope, and it is important because the chain at the anchor end of the rope line – which we call rode when it’s used with an anchor – holds the rope end of the line closer to the ocean floor, so that when the boat is pushed by wind, it pulls sideways, rather than up, on the anchor.

Accordingly, I wanted to have adequate ground tackle to be able to rest easy at anchor, knowing that we were (probably) not likely to drag.  So down to Minney’s Yacht Surplus I went, a great used boating goods warehouse down in Costa Mesa.

(I should also mention Kelly Marine in San Pedro, a much smaller establishment but nonetheless a treasure trove of used hardware and some new stuff as well.  It’s owned by a guy name Jib Kelly – how salty is that?  It has the decided advantage of being next door to our marina, so there’s the convenience factor too.)

At Minney’s I had my choice of used anchor rode – I selected a braided nylon rope, very rugged, of about 230′.  To that I added 25′ of half inch chain and a new (used), larger Danforth anchor.

I had the staff splice in a metal thimble where the chain attaches to the rode, and safety wired the anchor shackle (I need to do the same for the one that attaches the anchor to the chain).  However when I brought it all back to the boat, I just dumped everything into the forward anchor locker on deck, and forgot all about it.

Months later during an idle day down at the marina, I unstowed everything and uncoiled the rode.  Being as the rode is a white nylon, it turns out that it took the Sharpie permanent marker ink quite nicely.


I measured the concrete dock sections that comprise the dock, found them to be 10′ in length, and used those to measure the rode so I could tick off measurements every 10 feet.  It turns out that it is not easy to write on braided rope!  In addition to the ten-foot increments, I put larger marks every 50 feet.

Nonetheless, I am pleased with the result.  Of course time will tell how well it all holds up.